- Contact Us
You are here
The American Conference on Theoretical Chemistry's organizing committee invites you to attend this inspiring conference, held July 20th-25th, 2014, in beautiful Telluride, Colorado. TSRC hosted ACTC in 2011 and is delighted to welcome it back in 2014. The invited speakers are among the leading scholars in their respected fields, span generations and disciplines, and represent frontier work on problems of considerable current importance. Inspiration, cross-fertilization of ideas, networking, new collaborations, and great science are the goals of the conference. Free time has been built into the ACTC schedule to allow students and speakers to informally discuss science while taking in the beauty of the natural surroundings. James Skinner, University of Wisconsin-Madison is the chair of ACTC 2014. Sharon-Hammes-Schiffer, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign is the vice-chair.
- Nandini Ananth-Cornell University
- Hans Andersen-Stanford University
- Ilan Benjamin-University of California, Santa Cruz
- Joel Bowman-Emory University
- Patrick Charbonneau-Duke University
- Cecilia Clementi-Rice University
- Joseph Francisco-Purdue University
- Giulia Galli-University of Chicago
- Marina Guenza-University of Oregon
- Sharon Hammes-Schiffer-University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Martin Head-Gordon-University of California, Berkeley
- So Hirata-University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
- Chris Jarzynski-University of Maryland, College Park
- Anna Krylov-University of Southern California
- Yu-Shan Lin-Tufts University
- Todd Martinez-Stanford University
- Bill Miller-University of California, Berkeley
- Tom Miller-California Institute of Technology
- Will Noid-Pennsylvania State University
- Garyk Papoian-University of Maryland, College Park
- Peter Rossky, University of Texas, Austin
- Jeff Saven-University of Pennsylvania
- JR Schmidt-University of Wisconsin-Madison
- Joan-Emma Shea-University of California, Santa Barbara
- Sherwin Singer-Ohio State University
- Alexei Stuchebrukhov-University of California, Davis
- Salvatore Torquato-Princeton University
- Troy Van Voorhis-Massachussets Institute of Technology
- Zhen-Gang Wang-California Institute of Technology
- John Weeks-University of Maryland, College Park
- Sotiris Xantheas-Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Background and meeting details
Held every three years since 1972, ACTC is widely attended by chemists from both the United States and abroad. The meeting grew from the biennial Gordon Research Conference on Theoretical Chemistry, held from 1962-1970.
ACTC 2014 will be held in the beautiful, state-of-the-art Palm Theatre in the historic mining town of Telluride, Colorado, within walking distance of all the town's amenities. Built with comfortable tiered seating, fabulous acoustics, and a stage that facilitates easy viewing, the Palm is a perfect place for ACTC. Outside the theatre, under airy tents on the school's sports field and beneath the imposing silhouettes of Ajax and Ballard Peaks, ACTC participants will enjoy delicious, healthy meals throughout the week
The early-bird registration fee is $450 (which increases to $550 after May 1st) and includes two breakfasts, two lunches, two dinners plus a closing dinner/party/open bar on Thursday. To register, please visit the "Register Now" link under "For Scientists" at the top of the page.
**We encourage you to register as soon as possible as our most economical accommodation will be avialable on a first-come, first-served basis.**
Scholarships for Students and Postdocs
200 scholarships for students and postdocs, consisting of a $200 discount on the registration fee, will be provided by the University of Wisconsin Foundation. Please register as soon as possible, and in any case before May 1st. Attendees accepting this scholarship offer must present a poster and submit a poster abstract (see below).
The conference will run Monday, July 21st through Thursday, July 24th. Attendees should plan to arrive on Sunday, and to leave on Friday (or Saturday or Sunday). There will be plenary sessions all day on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons, and all day on Thursday. A complete schedule of the talks, breaks, meals, and poster sessions can be found here: Schedule
TSRC is pleased to offer shared accommodation in addition to our usual lodging choices. Regarding the former, you will have the choice between sharing a room for $365 a week, or having a private room in a shared condo for $500 a week. Note that amenities in the discounted, shared lodging my differ between units. Please select from the numerous lodging options when you register. Feel free to email Mark Kozak, TSRC's director if you have any questions.
**Please note: Accommodation for the prices above is limited. Registering early greatly increases your chances of securing this lodging.**
Posters and Poster Abstracts
Each participant is encouraged to present a poster. Posters must be no wider than 48". There will be two poster sessions, with a cash bar, on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings. Posters will be adhered to the walls with gaffer tape. Stiffer poster board is preferable; otherwise, expect some damage to the poster after the session. Those participants wishing to present a poster should email a brief abstract as an attachment in MS Word in 12 pt Arial font, including title and authors, to TSRC's Director, Mark Kozak, before May 15. Please make the subject of the email "ACTC poster abstract" to facilitate the process.
Poster Abstracts Link (under supporting files)
ACS has generously agreed to sponsor five $500 cash awards for the five best posters.